Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Bicycle injury attorneys represent the rights of injured cyclists and crash victims. We fight insurance agents, litigate with insurance companies, and make sure that injured cyclists receive maximum monetary recovery. The most robust recovery always comes for clients who take action early and involve an attorney at the start of their case.
When should you contact a bike accident lawyer?
If you, your family, or a friend has been involved in a serious bicycle accident, speak with an bicycle accident attorney immediately. Promptness is critical because the injured is now in an adversarial situation. Insurance companies are experts at quickly (1) inducing the injured person to sign full release, (2) undermining the injured’s legal case, and (3) undervaluing the worth of the injuries.
If the injured wants to maximize their chances of a large recovery, it is imperative the case is handled correctly from the start. An early misstep may completely ruin the chance of a meaningful recovery. For example, most insurance agents know to low ball people until an attorney enters an appearance on a case. This alone is staggering, but unknown to many injured parties. Offers regularly jump multiple times higher simply by having an attorney present.
Why you need an attorney for a bicycle injury?
Insurance companies are in the business of reducing their liability and exposure. They try to avoid responsibility for paying medical bills, property damage, and other compensation. Insurance companies have departments dedicated to minimizing the amount of money they pay to victims of accidents caused by people who buy their insurance policies. Here are the top 3 reasons to retain a bicycle accident lawyer:
- Unscrupulous Insurance Agents – Have you received a call from the others person’s insurance agency after your accident to see if you were “alright?” Did the agent offer you money to “take care of the property damage” and promise not to waive claims about your medical injury? Does that check now include the language waiver, net release, or satisfaction? If any of this sounds remotely familiar, you need the immediate help of a bicycle accident lawyer.
- Evidence – Think about the accident that occurred. What if the other person suddenly and inexplicably changed his or her entire story? Imagine he or she felt pressured by the insurance company, a family member, a lawyer, or because he or she couldn’t afford to be at fault. This is how our bicycle accident lawyers think about every single case. We operate on the idea that nothing can be taken for granted.
- Money Settlements – Valuation of an injury case is a complicated process based on many variables unique to the accident and the injured person, actuarial tables of prior awards, assessed strength of the case, and the extent of the injuries and damages. Categories of recoverable damages include:
- Medical Costs: Costs include treatment by physicians, medical centers, clinics, hospitals, emergency rooms, ambulances, paramedics, chiropractors, and physical therapists, other licensed professionals and the cost of medical devices. Future medical costs may be recovered as well.
- Pain and Suffering, Disability, and Mental and Emotional Distress: Damages include physical pain, disfigurement, discomfort, loss of ability to work, inability to partake in recreational activities, and mental distress and emotional trauma including fear, anxiety, grief, shock, PTSD, loss of dignity, embarrassment, humiliation, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Loss of Earnings and Earning Capacity: Damages include the loss of wages, including other employment benefits, and expected future earning capacity if the ability to earn money has been impaired.
- Loss of Consortium: If you are married or in a domestic partnership you may recover for the loss of the benefits of married or domestic partnered life.
- Property Damage: You can recover the value of your property that was damaged in the accident.
- Other Economic and Out of Pocket Costs: In addition to the economic costs associated with the items described above, you may recover damages for other economic harm and out of pocket expenses.
What are typical crashes that require a bike lawyer?
- Car door. It is very common that when a car door is quickly swung open a cyclist can become critically injured. Riding next to parked cars does not justify the carelessness of a motorist in failing to look for out bicycle traffic.
- Dogs. Dogs that are improperly secured will often chase bicycles. The shiny spokes, spinning wheels, size, and speed attract dogs. Even little dogs have caused major accidents as the cyclist tried to maneuver away.
- Distracted driving – Bike accident attorneys agree that the major contributor to almost any accident is some form of distracted driving. Whether its getting a call, texting, picking up an object that fell, or even sneezing, these distractions are the primary cause for accidents.
- Gap Turn – Cyclists often encounter a situation where a gap appears between the car in front and the car in back. An oncoming car sees the gap and makes a turn to split between the vehicles. Because this turn is a quickly executed maneuver, there is often little time for anyone to react. The result is that a cyclist is impacted directly on the side which often causes serious injury or even death.
- Rear End Collision – This often occurs when a cyclist moves into the roadway to make a left or right turn. During the transition, a vehicle rear-ends the cyclist. This commonly results in serious injury.
- Car Left Turns in Front of Bicyclist – One of the most frequent accidents occur when a vehicle makes a left in front of the cyclist. Situations with a “left turner” vehicle occur very frequently because the vehicle is not looking out for a fast moving bicycle. Although they approach from opposite directions, both do not see each other and an accident occurs.
- Car Right Turns in Front of Bicyclist – When a cyclist is riding straight and approaching an intersection, the car adjacent makes a right hand turn. Being cut off is extremely hazardous and often leads to a myriad of injuries.
- Side-Swipe – These injuries occur when a part of a vehicle extends past the frame, like a mirror or a vehicle towing wide load. These are extremely dangerous as they often occur at high speed and usually result in severe injuries or death.
When should you hire a bicycle accident lawyer?
The injured should almost certainly hire a bike accident lawyer if:
- There are serious injuries.
- The injury has or has the potential for long-term long-term repercussions.
- The other driver or drivers are uninsured or underinsured.
- There is a potential for a dispute over who was at fault.
- A claims adjuster is quickly offering to write a check.
- A claims adjuster is requesting the injured to sign legal documents.
- You are feeling pressured by the claims adjuster to agree to a quick settlement.
- The statutes of limitation laws may come into effect before you can challenge the settlement claim on your own.
- You don’t feel you’re being fully compensated for your current and future medical costs resulting from your injury.
When you should NOT hire a personal injury lawyer:
- The injury is minor.
- You went to the emergency room after the accident and never received any further medical treatment.
- There is no medical record.
- There is only property damage and no medical injury.
- You received very mild injuries and the driver’s insurance company is willing to pay a fair amount for your property damage, medical bills and injuries.
You will not need an attorney for every bicycle accident, but if you’ve been injured in a bike accident for which you were not at fault, hiring a personal injury attorney can help you receive a fair settlement from your insurance company.
Kraemer, Manes & Associates LLC “KM&A” is a law firm serving all of Pennsylvania with our principal offices in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Call KM&A in western Pennsylvania at 412-626-5626 or in eastern Pennsylvania at 215-618-9185. KM&A can be reached by email at email@example.com.